Empathic Confrontation: Advanced Strategies for
Navigating Narcissism and Other Challenging Modes in Treatment
Wendy Behary (Advanced Schema Therapist/Trainer)
Official Course Start Date:
Tuesday, October 18th (2022)
Exploring, identifying, and addressing the emotional narrative linked with early unmet needs are essential elements for formulating a robust conceptualization and effective implementation of treatment. This can be a triggering endeavor, especially when facing:
1. the self-righteous entitlement, neurotic victimization, approval-seeking, and bully/attack Overcompensating Modes of a covert or overt narcissistic client)
2. the rigidly disparaging or unyielding demands of Inner Critic Modes
3. the uncompromising (multiple) masks of Detached Protector Modes
4. the angry (several forms), help-rejecting, compliant-surrendering, enmeshed, hyper-autonomous, avoidant, dependent, perfectionistic… Modes
At the heart of schema therapy, we have an approach capable of weakening and evacuating Maladaptive Coping modes, confronting, modifying, and converting Inner Critic modes. Healthy Adult responses replace self-defeating ones as schemas heal and clients find their authentic voices. Reflection replaces reaction. Using highly effective strategies grounded in emotional engagement, schema therapists are poised to correct the biased emotional experiences typically linked with ruptured attachments and early embedded unrealistic demands, imprinted messages of inadequacy and unlovability, devalued and diminished self-identity, poor limit setting, hypervigilance, neglect, and abuse.
Empathic Confrontation, in its many elaborations, is one of the most powerful strategies for fortifying the therapy relationship and deconstructing the painful underlying emotional narrative; escorting the client on a journey of reimagined experiences that fulfill unmet emotional needs and rescript lifelong biased messages related to self, others, and the future.
Participants will learn how to:
A) Identify and conceptualize the evolution of challenging and uncompromising modes.
B) Cultivate a navigational treatment map.
C) Apply one of the many elaborations of Empathic Confrontation strategies to:
1. Fortify the therapy relationship
2. Confront, address, weaken, modify, and convert compensatory, detached, angry, and critical modes
3. Create customized dialogues that embolden trust, safety, leverage, and enhance opportunities to access client vulnerability and emotional resonance
D) Attend to the therapist’s own schemas and mode activation – how to sustain a sturdy, curious, and empathically attuned caregiver agency.
E) Integrate effective experiential strategies designed to meet the primary unmet needs, especially those related to toxic shame, mistrust, injustice, and unconditional love/acceptance.
CPD Hours: This course constitutes 18-hours of active professional development; attendees are provided with a certificate of completion.
Pricing: 16-Week (Standard; 289AUD) and 12-months (Extended; 325AUD) Access Options are available - (Some folks just love more time with the materials) Scroll down for Pricing Options.
Scroll down for a sneak peek of the training curriculum with Wendy.